Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Another Day at the Office.....


When the weather's good (and if I remember), I occasionally take my camera to work with me. I'm a recent convert to digital photography, having bought a Nikon P90 about a year ago. I don't pretend to have any talent as a photographer, but I've worked out that if I push the button enough, then I get lucky now and then!

I took these last week, and as luck would have it they're all from the area I grew up in......



This is looking south towards Newhaven, East Sussex. You can see the sea (to the right of the picture), and the cliff is Seaford Head. Oh, and almost slap bang in the centre is the new waste incinerator!

Perhaps you'd like a better look.......



There's no denying this is a striking building. The residents of Newhaven have other words for it, as you can imagine. For a lot of people, this has become their view. If you look to the left of the incinerator, just above the industrial units, you can see there are a lot of houses quite close by. And it's not even working yet; imagine smoke billowing from those chimneys! Now nobody would pretend that Newhaven is the prettiest town in the world, but it's on the edge of a very beautiful area.

Without moving my feet from where I took the first picture, this is the view to the east, looking across farmland to Firle Beacon.



Nice innit? Just imagine this with smoke drifting up the valley!

And the view to the north.......



This is Lewes, historic county town of East Sussex. You can see the castle in the centre of the picture. This is a very desirable (expensive) place to live; let's hope they don't feel the effects of the smoke! The waste company say that they won't, but then they would, wouldn't they?

And the view to the west, looking towards Falmer.......



It's hard to get away from the fact that the residents of Newhaven have been dumped on, big time. The incinerator is to be used for waste from all parts of East Sussex, so there will be several lorries a day winding their way down these little roads. And just to add insult to injury, the local water company are building a new sewage treatment works at Peacehaven, just two or three miles along the coast. Not that it's for the benefit of the local residents; oh no, apparently it's to service Brighton's waste!

And as for the positioning of Brighton and Hove Albion's new football stadium; just don't get me started!

Oh, and if you're coming to work with me again, I'd appreciate it if you didn't nick all my sandwiches next time.......




10 comments:

  1. Desecration! Such beautiful views too. Don’t worry I won’t be blagging a lift with you on your float...not if you still have that crazy trainee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't know how they get away with it, but they do.

    By the way, what was in those sarnies? They were delicious...oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise and I have a habit of going to gorgeous, picturesque places and finding that someone's built a cement factory in the middle of the view. We've never comes across anything quite as sci-fi looking as that though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to see that this nonsense goes on everywhere. I agree with Rol, it looks like an alien space station. But the other views are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell you what, I'll leave your sandwiches alone if you bring along some scotch eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Nell - Well, perhaps we'll get used to it in time! A case of having to, I think. I've got shot of Dan; he's now competent to work on his own. *cough*

    Fran - Yup, bang on Fran.

    Martin H. - Money talks, Martin. Or am I just cynical?

    Rol - I've never seen a cement factory, but I've visited a cement museum! I certainly know how to live......

    I'm Crayon - It does look futuristic; I remember the authorities saying it would 'blend in'!

    Steve - Scotch eggs? Now there's an idea.....


    Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I Wonder About The Word Progress.Why Do they have to always mess with perfection?

    ReplyDelete
  8. tony - I reckon it's all down to money, Tony. Newhaven is what used to be called a working class area, but East Sussex generally isn't. And it's East Sussex County Council that decides these things.
    Or perhaps I'm just cynical....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Surprisingly restful shots of an incinerator hinterland. It reminds me a little of the central bus station in Kielce, Poland. (I worked there for a while.)
    One was due to go up near me for a while, but it seems to have found a better location.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow by Email

Total Pageviews